I am happy to keep her going! This makes everything easier in the long run. She did great on Tue, it was a slightly shorter session because she did SO good! I had to walk out to get her, which is perfectly acceptable because she likely didn’t think that I was there for her. In any case, I kept up with the training, “If I have to get you, then you have to bow.” and she did, twice, two beautiful, relaxed bows. There was no face planting, no stress, just dandy! I really think that you asking her to do that made all the difference in the world. It helped her and I have two possible theories on this, it could be one or both. 1.) The first time you asked, she wasn’t expecting it (AT ALL) and she reacted differently (and liked it) and chose not to stick her face in the dirt anymore. 2.) She is so used to you that it set her off on a happier tone because you have a good relationship with her. In either case, it was enough to cause a different reaction and it was for the better. We’ll take it!
Another workman like day, down to business, let’s trot, walk, halt and do lots of transitions and bending. She didn’t have a single quirk or issue. Just acted 100% like any other green horse in training! It was amazing!! I took her between the jump standards and the footing was very agreeable so we could go anywhere. However, we didn’t spend any time at all in the front. We stayed in the middle making long sweeps east to west, walking over two different ground poles, repeatedly. She didn’t even think twice about it, never touched them, never slowed, never rushed. She acted as though ground poles are a normal part of her work routine. Lovely!
She had some great downward transitions and I was quick to reward her very clearly for them. I was able to increase the work a bit due to her good spirits. This meant that the transitions came up faster and there was less ‘down’ time. The general down time is spent rewarding her and letting her know we’re still her friend and there’s nothing to worry about, we’re not after her etc. she didn’t seem to need all of that quiet time and cooing on Tue. Her actions clearly stated her ability to step up to the next level. We did some laterals and she was just great, great, great!
So, I untacked and hosed her off. I noticed she didn’t want the water on her face. I don’t know if she has always been that way or was just being that way with me or my technique (I did warn her very slowly though, so she could see the stream rising gradually up to her nose), however, she went into full llama mode, nose to the sky. Ah! Another training moment! I applied steady pressure to the halter while misting her and finally she dropped her head and the mist went away with the pressure. Repeat 5x and she didn’t even move her head when I brought the hose up to her face. Wonderful girl!
I scraped her down and turned her out, practicing her ground manners the whole walk there. She stood perfectly still as I took her halter off and she waited for the neck pat that releases her. She was an absolute angel! I cannot wait to see what Tue brings, let us hope she stays this way! Yay!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment